Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/22/2018 8:29:41 AM EDT
I used to love buying and carrying several different knives until I got a Leatherman skeletool and that has been the perfect pocket knife for me.

But I’ve never had an auto knife and I just found out that Microtech does a first responder deal. So now I’m thinking I want to try one.

What do y’all think???
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread may be relevant to your interests

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Best-OTF-auto-knife-/5-2135454/

Ultratech and Scarab are a good everyday pocket carry size.
Combat Troodon and Cypher are pretty big, but Cypher is less bulky.
Halo is massive and takes two hands to close (single action)
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You won't regret it , I have to keep at least one otf. If for any other reason than exercise for my thumb lol.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Get one, you won't regret it.  I have a Combat Troodon and a UTX-85.  My next one is the LEO Ultratech.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I was wanting the Microtech Ultratech RSK but after reading the thread posted earlier.....

I thought the Microtech would have a jam up warranty like most American companies but the reviews seem pretty bad.

And now I’m seeing the $50 knockoffs that are really peaking my interest.

Which OTF is going to be on the smaller side? I can stand a big knife.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
You'd probably be happy with a UTX-85 size.

Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/6b/6c/716b6cab3ef8e1caf53dc23b92131895.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/6b/6c/716b6cab3ef8e1caf53dc23b92131895.jpg
That UTX-85 looks right
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an ultra tech and a infidel. The micro tech is cheaper and better quality I think.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have an ultra tech and a infidel. The micro tech is cheaper and better quality I think.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/8007F561-7D4A-4D9A-9523-50A77F29A563-679457.JPG
View Quote
Benchmade definitely makes a great knife, but their OTF knives just look
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/8007F561-7D4A-4D9A-9523-50A77F29A563-679457.JPG
The bechmade has also had not fully deployed fires. Even new out of the box. The micro tech had never failed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was wanting the Microtech Ultratech RSK but after reading the thread posted earlier.....

I thought the Microtech would have a jam up warranty like most American companies but the reviews seem pretty bad.

And now I’m seeing the $50 knockoffs that are really peaking my interest.

View Quote
I bought both a knock off Ultratech and then knock off halo. I was surprised by how well they were made, but I don’t have any real ones to compare them to.

They just want made me want to buy a real one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually carry have a plain edge UTX-85. Carries small and double action OTFs are great for light duty cutting tasks. It is a lot of fun to use but tends to attract negative attention in some circles due to the action and sound. I think it is generally safer than a folder as it is much more difficult to cut yourself opening and closing it.

It also slows or does not fire completely if it has been under water or soaked too long, has dust or grit in it, has retracted debris or residue with the blade, or you use oil that is too heavy. Something really light like Kroil or PB Blaster is perfect on these. Rem oil works well too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry two EDC knives. The folder, Chris Reeves Umnumzaan, is my general purpose knife while the Microtech is my special purpose knife (it has a glass breaker on the base, and the switch makes for ultra fast opening/closing). I've been carrying the Microtech for about 6 years (2 tears on duty before I retired) and the Umnumzaan about 4 years and have never had any issues with either of them. Both are much higher quality than any Benchmade.

" />
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think the Ultratech is that big; it's been my weak-side (left front and back) pocket folder for some time here in Afghanistan.  I literally use it several times a day for very simple cutting tasks and love the one hand opening/closing action.  Zero issues and quite reliable over the past nine months I've been carrying it.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#14]
The tip on my mini SOCOM snapped off falling on a rubber floor. It took over a year of emails to get Microtech to respond. I sent it in and said I would pay for a new blade. They re-ground the tip without refinishing (black blade) and sent it back to me, LE discount or no,t I'm no longer interested in their products.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I carried that bottom Microtech Double Action Socom since I got it in July of 1997.  I bought the other two as backups in '97 and '98.

You can see how much shorter the tip is.  It has been back to Microtech 2x for spring failures over the past 21 years.  On one trip Microtech re-profiled the tip for me.
First time they were really fast on the return.  The last time took like 6 months to get it back.

I've got a Halo and an Ultratech also but don't care for the OTF's much.  I really like a side opener I can just flick open.  The DA Socom's were awesome since I have the choice to open manually or hit the button.  I've had crud gum up the pivot point so I'd have to take it apart and clean it.  However, I could also open with the thumb stud manually.
I would think that with the OTF you would need to be extra careful with getting crap in there but I've never been hard on my OTF's so can't really say from experience.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#16]
do it. I have been carrying a progression of autos since they became legal here in Texas to do so. I wanted a big, beefy Combat Troodon from the beginning of when I saw one like a decade ago, but couldn't imagine spending that much on a knife or carrying something like that. so this has been the progression.
microtech utx 70- cool, too small to be useful
benchmade/HK turmoil. nice, got me into autos for real
Kershaw Launch 3, nice, sturdy, fires hard and snaps well. you manually close it
ultratech carbon fiber double sided. nice, carries well, I thought it was too scary for the office so I sold it.
protech godson. also nice, side opening. very thin and high quality

In this time I came to the realization that I wanted a glass breaker and something my son (going on 3) can't open. he can fire side autos but can't open the slides of an OTF. it's also easier to snap the blade away since every time I open an amazon box (lets be real, that's 98% of an OTFs use) he comes over thinking it's presents for him and that makes it safer.

so now I have a clone halo (giant, needs 2 hands to close, I giggle every time I do it) mostly for fun and as a garage knife.
and my "real" edc is a Combat Troodon double edge partially serrated. It's the one I wanted the whole damn time anyway. I don't care if it's scary at work, found out the whole management is super pro knife so that helps. It wasn't crazy money since I bought it used, and I sold or gifted away my other knives so it's just the one I have now. I have heard bad things about the customer service, but I'm rolling the dice that it either won't be needed or I"ll get it fixed elsewhere. It's heavy and substantial but fits my hand better than the thin ultratechs. I like that the blade is wider. it's razor sharp, and still breaking in so it's not the easiest thing in the world to retract yet.

Link Posted: 9/25/2018 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
When your knife costs more than a lot of your guns.....

They are awesome knives and great conversation pieces, but I wouldn't choose an OTF for any hard EDC use.  Maybe a scarab though, I don't own one, but have handled them and they are stout.  I carry a standard Troodon for everyday around the house/work stuff.  If I'm working in the yard or may potentially need something beefier I carry a ZT 0562cf.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
do it. I have been carrying a progression of autos since they became legal here in Texas to do so. I wanted a big, beefy Combat Troodon from the beginning of when I saw one like a decade ago, but couldn't imagine spending that much on a knife or carrying something like that. so this has been the progression.
microtech utx 70- cool, too small to be useful
benchmade/HK turmoil. nice, got me into autos for real
Kershaw Launch 3, nice, sturdy, fires hard and snaps well. you manually close it
ultratech carbon fiber double sided. nice, carries well, I thought it was too scary for the office so I sold it.
protech godson. also nice, side opening. very thin and high quality

In this time I came to the realization that I wanted a glass breaker and something my son (going on 3) can't open. he can fire side autos but can't open the slides of an OTF. it's also easier to snap the blade away since every time I open an amazon box (lets be real, that's 98% of an OTFs use) he comes over thinking it's presents for him and that makes it safer.

so now I have a clone halo (giant, needs 2 hands to close, I giggle every time I do it) mostly for fun and as a garage knife.
and my "real" edc is a Combat Troodon double edge partially serrated. It's the one I wanted the whole damn time anyway. I don't care if it's scary at work, found out the whole management is super pro knife so that helps. It wasn't crazy money since I bought it used, and I sold or gifted away my other knives so it's just the one I have now. I have heard bad things about the customer service, but I'm rolling the dice that it either won't be needed or I"ll get it fixed elsewhere. It's heavy and substantial but fits my hand better than the thin ultratechs. I like that the blade is wider. it's razor sharp, and still breaking in so it's not the easiest thing in the world to retract yet.

https://i.imgur.com/qOZyiHv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vu7mh5e.jpg
View Quote
Microtechs customer service has improved dramatically because of all the negative feedback over the years.

I had my stitch a sent in for repair for a broken spring and it was back to me in a little over 2 weeks.

To OP. I dislike OTF knives because of blade wobble. They are decent for light duty and maybe putting a hole in someone if you need to but I carry a side auto. It locks up almost as solid as a fixed blade, Not kidding, and it can take some real abuse.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top